Two new papers on Brazilian land snails from Santa Catarina State were just published by Ignacio Agudo In Ellipsaria (http://molluskconservation.org/EVENTS/ELLIPSARIA/EllipsariaMarch2011.pdf). One deals with the occurrence of Omalonyx (p. 19-20), the other (p. 20-26) is an update on a checklist of the continental and marine molluscs of Santa Catarina.
During revisions, old collections may pose questions totally unrelated to taxonomy, which are nevertheless crucial to solve in order take the right decision. An example may illustrate this.
Some additional pictures from the field, that show that the two species of concern occur in mixed populations. The picture of the three snails sitting on top of each other make at least a cosy impression…;-)
Marjan van Hulsel, the student doing fieldwork now in Peru on carinated shells, has started in the second region. She is located in Tembladera, Dept. Cajamarca.
As a sequel to the previous post on Bostryx, today a picture that I took last year at Lomas de Atocongo, near Lima, Peru. As you may see, many, many shells; no living specimens were found here, but they hide in the vegetation covered parts of the lomas where they hibernate during most of the year. The shells must have been blown by the wind into this desert-like part and accumulated over time.
On the Taxacom List there was today an overview of tools to convert coordinates, either individual or in batch. Just passing through this here…Converting GPS coordinates: easy online services and programs.
Individual locations: basically copy paste the input and copy/paste the output
– The FCC site. Online available: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html
– SpeciesLink converter. Online available only: http://splink.cria.org.br/conversor?&setlang=en
– OASIS UTM Conversion. Online available: http://www.oasisphoto.com/navigation/convert_form.php
– ACME mapper. Online available: http://mapper.acme.com/
Batch conversion: copy/paste batches or open input files and save output files
– LOTE Geographical Projection Conversion. Download freeware program from http://gcmd.nasa.gov/records/ESS_LOTE.html
– Spreadsheet UTM conversion tool. Free download on http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/usefuldata/howuseexcel.htm
– FRANSON CoordTrans. Download free 7 days trial from http://franson.com/coordtrans/
More advanced programs
– Global Mapper
– ArcMap of ArcGIS
– GDAL(Warp) downloadable on http://www.gdal.org/
– Geotrans 3.1 available on: http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/geotrans/
– Corpscom 6.0 available on http://crunch.tec.army.mil/software/corpscon/corpscon.html
– R package PBSmapping has a function convUL